What is special category data? Found out here.
- Special category data is personal data that needs more protection because it is sensitive.
- In order to lawfully process special category data, you must identify both a lawful basis under Article 6 of the UK GDPR. You also need a separate condition for processing under Article 9. There is no requirement to link the two..
- There are 10 conditions for processing special category data in Article 9 of the UK GDPR.
- Five of these require you to meet additional conditions and safeguards. These are set out in UK law in Schedule 1 of the DPA 2018.
- You must determine your condition for processing special category data before you begin this processing under the UK GDPR, and you should document it.
- In many cases you also need an appropriate policy document in place. This is to meet a UK Schedule 1 condition for processing in the DPA 2018.
- You need to complete a data protection impact assessment (DPIA) for any type of processing which is likely to be high risk. You must therefore be aware of the risks of processing the special category data.
If you are processing this type of data, you must take great care. If you need help please fell free to call us on 03333 22 1011. You can email us here or contact us here. You can book your free one hour consultation here.